It’s hard for me to go to a gym (especially underground, New Yorkers) during a beautiful summer day. I feel like I’m wasting a joyful sunshiny day if I can’t see it. Anyone else? That’s why I try to get creative to stay fit in the summer while appreciating the beauty of the season. I’ve compiled some ideas for myself and you. Head over to my Instagram, @sarahrosesummers to let me know which idea is best for your routine!
1. Run your local trail or park.
2. Find yourself soaking up the sun by the water? Hop in the deep end to tread water and swim laps - your childhood self will love you for it…and I promise it’s probably not that easy anymore.
3. Grab your yoga mat, pack up your cutest gym bag with water, hydrate, some ankle weights, and to head to your local park for some Pilates-inspired stationary exercises. (check out my IG TV for inspo). Don’t forget to bring your favorite book to relax after your workout.
4. Set up a circuit workout in your driveway - alternate sprints or use a jump rope for cardio, hand weights for squat to shoulder press or alternating punches. Get creative while staying close to home yet soaking up the summer sun.
Have you ever felt intimidated walking into a workout class? A new store? Your first day at a new job? This feeling, deep in your stomach is how I thought I would feel my first time walking into Rumble, but I didn’t! I thought I would feel and look out of place as a small bubbly blonde girl in a badass underground NYC boxing gym. When I walked in I almost felt like I belonged, but even better than that - nobody cared! I didn’t feel like all eyes were on me at all, I blended right in while everyone else was focused on themselves. So if you need the push and little reminder that the world doesn’t revolve around you, no one cares about your workout, if you ‘look’ like you fit in, if it’s your first or 200th class, this is your reminder to go workout however you enjoy, for you.
Since my first time at Rumble, I now enter with confidence. Whether I had a crappy day and am ready to release frustration on the bag, a day lacking motivation and I can hardly get myself to show up, or if I’ve had a great day and am pumped - I always feel better after a class.
Ps: their showers and Dry Bar products are an extra plus.
Get a workout in on your lunch break, right after class, before the little ones wake up in the morning, or…anytime because they’re only 28 minutes! You can live stream classes with real NYC instructors. But if you missed a class or if you want to retake your favorite, you can catch them on replay.
Just for you, receive 30% off your first month with code: sarahrosesummers.
Have you found your thing? Something that can brighten your day no matter how rainy it is, or what bad news you received, or just lethargic you’re feeling? Not another person, something you can do? In NYC, I quickly found my thing. 305 fitness is a group fitness studio unlike any other. They teach cardio dance classes to high-energy timely songs. Oh, and they have a live DJ! I was hesitant to go to my first class, I am no hip-hop dancer, but once I got inside and realized that men and women of all shapes and sizes were all twerking and sweating it out together - I was into it! On slow lonely days in the city I know if I can make myself get to 305, I’ll be leaving smiling at everyone on the sidewalk or on the subway! It is also the best place to bring friends! Two of my girlfriends and MUO staff go with me most frequently but I have also drug along all of my best friends who have visited me - the southern Christian bell, the one who never works out, the lanky uncoordinated one, and the ballerina - they all loved it too once they broke out of their shells!
1. Find your thing because we all have those days when we need a little pick-me-up.
2. If you’re in NYC, LA, Boston, or DC, try 305 Fitness with a friend. I promise you won’t regret it!